Accreditation & Disclosures
Phoenix Institute of Herbal Medicine & Acupuncture and its following programs are accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine (ACAHM):
(1) Master of Science in Acupuncture
(2) Master of Acupuncture with a Chinese herbal medicine specialization [currently named Master of Science in Oriental Medicine]
(3) Doctor of Acupuncture-including a Doctor of Acupuncture degree completion track
(4) Doctor of Acupuncture with a Chinese herbal medicine specialization [currently named Doctor of Acupuncture with a specialization in herbal medicine]- including a Doctor of Acupuncture with a Chinese herbal medicine specialization degree completion track.
The programs listed above may offer courses via distance education.
ACAHM does not accredit any programs at the undergraduate/bachelor level.
Accreditation status and notes may be viewed on the ACAHM Directory at acahm.org/directory-menu.
ACAHM is recognized by the United States Department of Education as the specialized accreditation agency for institutions/programs preparing acupuncture practitioners. ACAHM does not accredit any programs at the undergraduate/bachelor level.
ACAHM is located at 8941 Aztec Drive, Eden Prairie, Minnesota 55347 phone 952-212-2434 web acahm.org/.
State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA)
The State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) pertains to the approval of distance education courses and programs offered across state lines by postsecondary institutions that already have degree authorization in at least one state. SARA is a voluntary agreement among its member states and U.S. territories that establishes comparable national standards for the interstate offering of postsecondary distance-education courses and programs. The National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) provides national oversight for each NC-SARA-approved state. In Arizona, the Arizona SARA Council (AZ-SARA) provides statewide oversight for Arizona institutions.
Participation in SARA is voluntary for states and for institutions. SARA is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state. SARA centralizes the authorization process for each institution in a single state called the institution’s “home state.” Colleges or universities in a SARA state therefore only need their home state authorization to offer distance education to students in any other SARA member state, subject to certain limitations.
PIHMA College and Clinic was approved by the Arizona SARA Council (AZ-SARA) and the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) as a SARA institution on May 30, 2023.
For a list of approved states and state actions regarding SARA, please visit this page – https://www.nc-sara.org/sara-states
Students interested in taking distance education courses at PIHMA College and Clinic that are located in a state that has not yet obtained approval through NC-SARA should contact admissions at, email@example.com.
SARA for States
For more information about SARA, please visit http://www.nc-sara.org/.
For questions pertaining to SARA compliance at PIHMA College and Clinic please contact Sonoran’s SARA liaison officer Debbie Major at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What States Can I Use My PIHMA Degree In?:
How can I find out more about this career?
For more information about a career in Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine, please visit the U.S. Department of Labor’s O*NET website. The Standard Occupational Code (SOC) for the career is 29-1199.01 (Acupuncturists) and the Classification of Instructional Programs (CIP) code for this program is 51.3301 (Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine).
Federal Consumer Disclosure Information Regarding PIHMA Programs
PIHMA’s MSAc and MSOM programs are accredited by ACAHM. The college and all its programs are approved by the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education. For important information on program costs, completion and placement rates, median debt incurred, etc., please click on the following link:
Per Arizona regulations, PIHMA’s graduation placement rate for the period ending June 2019 was 100%.
Arizona calculates placement rates using the formula below.
- Placement Rate: (A + B)/(C-D) = 0
- A = Based upon the total number of graduates during the reporting period, “A” is the number of graduates placed in their field of study.
- B = Based upon the total number of graduates during the reporting period, “B” is the number of graduates placed in a related field of study.
- C = Total number of graduates
- D = total number of graduates “not available for placement” (i.e.due to health related situations, continuing education, military service).