Read all of our admissions requirements here. We can not wait for you to get started!

All applicants, for the Master’s degrees, must have satisfactorily completed 60 semester credits / 90 quarter credits (or 90 semester credits for the Doctoral degree) of education at the baccalaureate level that is appropriate for graduate level work, or the equivalent, from an institution, accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

*A grade of “C” (2.0), “Pass,” or better must have been earned in each course.

In addition, within the first year of enrollment, applicants must complete (or retake science classes if credits are older than five years) a minimum of 3 credit hours or higher of general or introductory level coursework in the following classes:

• Biology
• Chemistry (General and Organic)
• English
• Psychology

Applicants should submit a complete application packet that includes the following:

  • Admissions Application
  • Admission Fees:
    • $50 – Masters Nonrefundable Application fee for early registration (up to 30 days before the semester starts)
    • $75 – Master & DAC degrees (up to 30 days before the semester starts)
    • $100 – Doctoral Nonrefundable Application fee – already have MSAC or MSOM (within 30 days of the start of semester)
  • International students have a fee of $200
    • A signed FERPA Agreement
    • Brief personal statement
    • Resume or listing of previous occupations, positions held
    • 2 signed letters of recommendation from different businesses or health care professionals who know you well, but are not family members
    • Official transcripts from colleges you have attended must be sent directly to the Admissions Department.

Are you applying and have specific questions about PIHMA? See our catalog here to learn more about expectations for our students, our degree programs, admission process, courses and so much more.

Start your journey at PIHMA today!

Fill out the admissions applicaton for PIHMA here. 

Admissions for Transfer & International Students

Coursework taken at another Oriental medical institution may be transferable if the college is pursuing accreditation or is accredited by the Accreditation Commissions of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (ACAOM). For a list of ACAOM approved schools go to: www.acaom.org.

Which academic credits does PIHMA accept?

PIHMA accepts transfer credits toward completion of its degree programs through evaluation of original transcripts. Prospective students must first be accepted to PIHMA prior to receiving an extensive course by course evaluation.

What do I need in order to apply?

Students should include these additional documents as part of their application:

  • Signed FERPA Agreement
  • Academic catalog from any previous AOM institutions

How many courses must be completed at PIHMA?

Transfer students are required to complete 40 or more credits in the Oriental medicine program, and 30 or more credits in the Acupuncture program at PIHMA.

What if I did not attend an ACAOM accredited college?

Students who have completed relevant coursework at a non-accredited institution may request to challenge courses at PIHMA. (See the catalog for details on challenging courses by examination.)

Admissions for Veterans

PIHMA is an approved college for veterans, active military service members, their spouses and dependents. We are proud to serve you and your family as you have served our country. View the quick guide to get you started.

Getting Benefits Started

If you are active military, a veteran or a dependent and have not used VA education benefits before at any institution of higher education, this is where you start:


First, apply for benefits in three easy steps
VA benefit
Use this VA application
Chapter 30, 33, 1606 and 1607 Form 22-1990
Chapter 35 Form 22-5490. Available at: www.vets.gov and
Chapter 31 Eligibility/Application is determined by the Department of Veteran Affairs, Vocational Rehabilitation Office


Locate your additional supporting documents
VA benefit type Include this supporting document
All types, except Chapter 1606 DD-214 Military Discharge Document — Copy Member 4
Chapter 1606 DD-2384 NOBE — Notice of Basic Eligibility


Submit your application and document directly to the VA using one of these methods.

If you apply online, you will receive your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA in four to eight weeks.


Next, apply to PIHMA

You can apply to any of the three degree programs PIHMA has to offer before receiving your Certificate of Eligibility from or submitting your 1905 form to the VA.

Visit the Degrees and Programs section of our website for help in choosing. When you are ready to apply, consult with one of our admissions staff and start completing your forms located here.

If you have questions about applying to PIHMA or any of the steps along the way, please contact our Admissions Coordinator, Lisa Dunn at ldunn@pihma.edu or 602-274-1885.

Military Spouse and Dependent Students

Here at PIHMA, family matters. It takes significant dedication and sacrifice to be a military spouse or dependent. It is our mission to provide the same dedication to you on your education journey at PIHMA.

Contact our military and veterans support staff

If you have questions, please contact Paula Farquharson.

Font Resize